Strahan Bed and Breakfast Accommodation
Strahan Wilderness Lodge $80 – $110 Double
The home was originally built in 1897 for the North Lyell copper companies mine manager at Gormanston, 6 kilometres north of Queenstown. In 1903 the home became the property of the Mount Lyell mining and railroad company and was used by the mine manager.
In 1919, it became a temporary hospital for the Gormanston township during an outbreak of influenza and in the early 1960s it was utilised as company staff accommodation.
The home became vacant in the mid 70s due to Mount Lyell retrenchments and the winding down the Gormanston township. Vandals and souvenir hunters assisted in the quick deterioration of the home and in 1982 it was purchased by the current owners, and was transported to Mill Bay at Strahan in 11 sections and set on 28 acres of waterfront bush and heath-land overlooking Macquarie Harbour.
The original attached servants quarters totaling four squares was dismantled and used in restoration work and the home, now restored, was opened by the Premier of Tasmania, the Hon Robin Gray.
Historic Home B and B
The home was opened in 1983 as Strahan Wilderness Lodge long before the more expensive and upmarket Cradle Mountain, Lemonthyme and Freycinet lodges were developed. The historic Home is maintained as such has not been upmarketed, and offers affordable B and B accommodation in private usage Twin, Family and Double rooms with en-suite. Extensive grounds provide garden and water front walks.
- All rooms are heated, beds have electric blankets, linen and towels are included.
- Complimentary continental breakfast available between 7:30 and 9:00am.
- Covered outside gas BBQ area (no charge for usage)
- Guests are welcome to bring back food from town and eat in the lounge/dinning room.
- Indicative nightly tariff AUD $80 – $110 (double). Depending on season.